Location: Sydney, Australia
Employment Type: Full-Time
Job Function: Resource Development
Reports To: Director of Development
JDC is seeking an innovative and dynamic professional to lead JDC activity in Australia. Joint Australia seeks to engage Australian Jews in JDC’s mission in order to cultivate support and raise funds for JDC activities around the world. Joint Australia officially launched in October 2012 and is seeking the appropriate person to take it to the next level.
What will you do as the Director of Joint Australia?
- Identify, research, cultivate and solicit significant individual and foundation funders for major gifts in collaboration with lay leadership – for general support and for specific priority programs across the JDC world
- Establish and cultivate relationships with Joint Australia board members (and their families)
- Identify prospective candidates to serve on the Joint Australia Board, integrate them into JDC activity and solicit them for major gifts in collaboration with lay leadership
- Strengthen strategic relationships to secure funding from local sources (endowment funds, overseas partnerships, venture funds, special campaigns)
- Establish and staff local affinity/leadership groups that generate revenue for JDC
- Manage and coordinate specific revenue generating projects within Joint Australia, e.g. gala dinner, direct mail, bar/bat mitzvah, missions, school initiatives, family missions, giving circles, etc., in relation to the annual Joint Australia Strategic Plan
Management of Joint Australia
- Manage administrative, legal and accounting procedures for the ongoing functioning of Joint Australia
- Responsible for creating the Joint Australia Strategic Plan in conjunction with leadership and direct supervisor
- Supervision of Administration Coordinator, Young Adult Outreach & Engagement Coordinator, Director of Fundraising in Victoria
Joint Australia Board Development
- Staff support for Joint Australia President and leadership
- Develop annual plan for Board activity in partnership with Joint Australia President
- Recruitment and activation of Joint Australia Board members
- Coordination of Board meetings and support for individual Board members in their JDC-related activity
Branding and Marketing
- Oversight and management of Joint Australia campaign, in alignment with JDC’s global branding strategy and in partnership JDC’s Chief Global Marketing Officer
- Supervision of PR and creative consultants hired on project basis
- Maintaining a brand strategy that resonates culturally and emotionally with Australian philanthropists and the Australian Jewish community. This includes, but is not limited to, creating marketing materials, devising talking points, creating presentations and offering media advice.
Outreach and Engagement
- Plan activities together with local young leadership
- Follow up with interested individuals
- Other duties as assigned
Who is the Director of Joint Australia?
- Extensive knowledge of the Sydney Jewish community and the Australian Jewish community in general
- Has a strong network within the Jewish community and specifically in Sydney
- Outstanding organizational skills – the ability to juggle shifting priorities
- Ability to work in a solo / home office, and also function well as part of an international global team
- An exceptional communicator with excellent verbal and written skills and the ability to present an effective and persuasive case for support
- The ability to forge collaborative working relationships with individuals at all levels of an organization and across generations
- Familiarity with global Jewish issues, international and community development ; sensitive to and able to work effectively in a truly international and culturally diverse environment
- Ability to work across different time zones and travel within Australia and internationally
- A genuine commitment to JDC’s mission and a willingness to be an active member of the JDC team
What qualifications do you need to be the Director of Joint Australia?
- Successful experience working with Australian Jewish donors and community leaders, with a track record of the ability to motivate, lead and inspire
- Proven success in building relationships and securing gifts from major funders and foundations
- Strong sales, PR and marketing skills
- Proven experience in management and supervision
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others
- A Global Environment – you will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Together, we are committed to making a positive impact on the lives of others
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Send your resume, salary expectations, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘JDC Careers, Director Joint Australia – FULL NAME’.
Join The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian assistance organization. JDC works in around 70 countries and in Israel to alleviate hunger and hardship, rescue Jews in danger, create lasting connections to Jewish life, and help Israel overcome the social challenges of its most vulnerable citizens, both Jewish and non-Jewish. Our reach extends beyond the global Jewish community by providing immediate relief and long-term development support for victims of natural and man-made disasters worldwide.
JDC has over 100 years of experience providing social and humanitarian services to Jewish people. You can learn more about JDC at www.thejointaustralia.org.