Location: New York City Headquarters
Employment Type: Part-Time
Job Function: Security
Reports To: Head of NYHQ Security
Date Posted: 10/12/2018
JDC periodically seeks well-trained security professionals to join our Security team. Candidates must be reliable, serious about safety and security, globally-oriented, and committed to mitigating security risks before breaches occur. This is a customer-facing role, so we are seeking someone with excellent communication skills who can welcome visitors and staff to the office. Please note that we may not have a current opening for this role. Applications for this position are accepted on a rolling basis, and candidates will be contacted as opportunities become available.
This position will be part-time, 21-27 hrs/week with benefits. Candidates must have the flexibility to take varying shifts. Ideal for students, the self-employed, freelancers, and individuals with military experience, looking for stable employment.
What will you do as a Security Specialist?
- Protect property and staff by maintaining a safe and secure environment
- Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and others
- Secure premises and personnel by patrolling property
- Inspect building, equipment, and access points
- Monitor surveillance equipment
- Detect suspicious activities, investigate disturbances, and respond effectively to control adverse situations
- Report incidents, accidents or medical emergencies
- Respond to emergencies in accordance with JDC emergency procedures
- Become an expert on the security risks involved with JDC’s work
- Other related duties as assigned
What does the ideal Security Specialist Look Like?
- Proactive about safety, actively seeking to identify and resolve risks at every moment
- Passionate about security and its value to an organization
- Honest and not afraid to discuss challenges – understands that security is the top priority, and oversights big or small must be reported immediately
- Takes the dangers faced by a global Jewish organization in an office environment seriously and with the utmost respect
- Calm and decisive under pressure, able to step up and take responsibility when needed
- Process-oriented, able to maintain a routine and daily tasks
- Customer-oriented, willing to go the extra mile to meet the needs of executives, donors, and other visitors
- Professional in demeanor and presentation
What qualifications do you need to be our Security Specialist?
- Previous security experience with a large global organization or military experience with the US, Israel, or other countries required
- Professional proficiency in English required
- Professional proficiency in Hebrew strongly preferred
- IDF/Israeli military experience strongly preferred
- Able to meet the physical demands required to inspect staircases and hallways regularly, identify disturbances or weapon activity, and train for physical readiness to act upon security breach; requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing for sustained periods of time, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, hearing, finger dexterity, and repetitive motion
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs on a daily basis
- Visual acuity to view a computer terminal and inspect bags
- Strong communication skills and customer orientation
- Interest in committing to 1+ years of employment at JDC
- Passion for humanitarian work and/or global Jewish service preferred
What are the compensation and benefits for a Security Specialist?
- This is a part-time, hourly position paid bi-weekly. This role is non-exempt per the FLSA.
- We offer a highly competitive benefits and compensation package, including but not limited to:
- 100% paid medical and dental insurance for employee coverage
- PTO, including vacation days, sick and personal days, and Jewish and national holidays
- 403(b) with JDC contributions of up to 6.5% of salary
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), commuter benefits, and life insurance
- Food Perks: Bagel Fridays in the winter, Ice Cream Fridays in the summer, and beverages/snacks in the office
Why work at JDC?
- The People – What we hear most from our team members is that they enjoy working with others who share their passion for doing good; Our staff aim to use their skills to make a positive difference in the lives of others
- A Global Environment – you will have the opportunity to develop a global perspective, working with staff from the U.S., Israel, the Former Soviet Union, and all over the world
- Tikkun Olam – This Jewish value of “repairing the world” is deeply important to us. Together, we are committed to making a positive impact on the lives of others
Equal Employment Opportunity
JDC is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian organization, we are committed to treating people with compassion and respect. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, mental disorder, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
Send your resume and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject ‘Security Specialist– FULL NAME’.
Join The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee (JDC), the world’s leading Jewish humanitarian assistance organization. JDC works in around 70 countries and in Israel to alleviate hunger and hardship, rescue Jews in danger, create lasting connections to Jewish life, and help Israel overcome the social challenges of its most vulnerable citizens, both Jewish and non-Jewish. Our reach extends beyond the global Jewish community by providing immediate relief and long-term development support for victims of natural and man-made disasters worldwide.
JDC has over 100 years of experience providing social and humanitarian services to Jewish people. You can learn more about JDC at www.JDC.org.